Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pakistan Part 2 and musings






Below is the link to my  slide/movie on You Tube I made from the pictures of my Pakistan trip. There is a  3 second video in it, that I made by accident but it somehow captures the moment perfectly. You hear heavy breathing, then a sigh, then a plop and see my boots sitting out my front door. Every day when I arrived into camp the first thing I would do is get my boots off. Never, on any trek/climb that I have done have I ever had my feet hurt so much on a trip. That is why I titled the project, "It's All About the Feet", because I was trying to keep the weight of my trek bag down, all duffles were carried by the porters on their backs and most carried 2 duffles, I brought only one pair of boots.  I think my bag porter, Reliait, carried 3 bags that in total were probably twice his weight. The porters on the trip were a constant reminder of work ethic and happiness on the job. Not to say that some of them weren't miserable at times, but for the most part being a porter was a very social job and they chit chatted with each other the entire time and worked really, really hard but seemed happy. That is why I called my "keeper"(I think he was assigned to make sure I did not kill myself) Mohammed Khan, the mayor of the Baltoral. He knew almost every porter that we ran into. But I brought my old leather hiking shoes that I had worn for many years and did not bring a soft pair of boots. I learned my lesson about making sure that your shoes are as comfortable as possible. I think I will now go for comfort over "the proper shoe" on my next trip, which I hope will be soon!!!!  Mohammed Khan wore tennis shoes the entire time.  I didn't get blisters because I knew to Vaseline my feet every day but the daily up and down over the rock and ice was a killer on my feet but mentally I am tough so I made it no matter how sore and achy my feet were. 
The last 2 minutes of the project are pictures of me from other places I have been. I feel really lucky to have traveled as much as I have but it never is enough. After college I started on the money track not the "do what I love track" for a lot of reasons, mostly dysfunctional, which I won't go into, however, I was able to see a lot of places. But I think I was born with the explorer gene because there are too many interesting places to go and not enough time, my priority was always traveling and doing, not getting married(although my family issues had a little bit to do with the marriage thing too), no matter how many great men I met, or fell in love with...........Here is the 5 second, accidental, boot video,the sounds capture how I was feeling, the cold, the altitude, my fatigue, the gosh darn boots!!!!!
                        
                           
video

Here is the link on YouTube to the slides with music of my Pakistan trip and some of my other travels... Pakistan slideshow link
                           


I did my multi-sport run today which includes, sprinting/jogging, a stop, cartwheels, handstands, and some sun salutations and other yoga stretches, 50 situps with legs and hands raised above the ground, a run back to my access off the Lakefront and a quick jump and 10 second swim in the lake.  The latest running song I have been listening to is Afterglow from the album "Im on to You"by Ian Axel, I found it through Pandora. There was a period of time when I wrote a lot of poetry(pretty bad poetry, I primarily keep it to myself but in total about 40 poems that I consider all under the title of "Turbulence".) But at the end of most of the poems, I wrote, "I wish someone had the answer?" And in Afterglow, yes, I am staying on topic, he kind of answers my question which is why the song makes me happy. I go through phases of running to hard, intense songs to gooey, happy songs, this one borders on gooey but is not over the top. The song I listen to while I am doing my handstands and cartwheels is Dry the Rain by the Beta Band which is on the sound track of High Fidelity. The song crescendos in the end and they keep repeating "everything will be alright" which is what I need to hear right now!!!!  After I finish a run I put on my mellower songs which lately I have been on a Donovan kick, Sunshine Superman and Mellow Yellow. Donovan is timeless I think and reminds me of my first trip to Aspen, there was the Mellow Yellow taxi service and he played Mellow Yellow in his cab.
I did not go to yoga, today, I was working on learning about video, which videos certainly take a long enough time to upload, and YouTube(yes, a slacker excuse) and I got up late, another slacker habit....and my project tonight is to braise some fennel using Alice Water's recipe. I did make her pancakes and they were great, she has you separate out the yolks from the eggs and whip the egg whites before incorporating them into the batter which makes for fluffier pancakes. My plan for tomorrow is to go for a 1 1/2 hour run before my monthly store meeting at 8:45am... The question is....Will my slacker habits come into play????????????????????? I really am trying to reform...really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                      Ciao......

                         



No comments: