Sunday, December 14, 2008

Rudolph Scramble and Chicagarctic
















Well,  the lake has started to look like the arctic. It is not in its full winter look, but the ice has begun to form and from now on we start getting ice bergs in the lake. I took pictures from a run to Olive Park which is developing an ice shelf on one of the walls at the point. The other pictures are on my way back from the Rudolph Ramble and of course I had to get one of Santa Claus!! I got to the race or as my new name for it, The Rudolph Scramble, at the last minute, I was the very last person to enter. I thought about jumping in and not paying but I just did not feel good doing that and since I am trying to be more true to myself, I knew I would feel funny about hopping in and that it was just plain bad karma and since I had already crashed on my bike on the way there, I felt there was way too much potential for another accident to risk bad luck on the way home.  I crashed at the ramp at Oak Street beach. I thought the ice had pretty much melted but I ended up attempting to do a hockey stop on my bike so I executed the slo-mo, "slow slide crash". A homeless guy under the the little walkway came to my rescue and asked if I was okay, which I was, but it was a great wake up call to be careful. However, there is something in me that doesn't mind falling down, most of the time it is pretty comical and particularly when I ski and crash it just makes me feel like a kid and humble and stupid and I laugh. Not to get too philosophical but so many "adults" are so afraid to fall down, literally and figuratively, and falling down is part of life and I think the reason I never hurt myself is that I just roll with it.  I ,also, think I am probably too in touch with my inner kid and the spirit of having fun because in some weird way crashing is fun, I don't know exactly why? The race ended up being shortened to a 5K instead of 8K which I realized when we came to the finish line and saw that the race was over and we had only finished a 5K.  I am happy that I got up and participated. Given my slacker tendencies, when I go out running on my own it becomes more meditative and relaxing and freeing and I don't exactly push myself all the time so races are good to get my competitive juices going which does not take much, underneath it all I am always competitive almost too much. I feel much better about my races these days, I am now hanging out with the "fit" part of the pack, and I am really happy about that!!!!!!!! I still have a ways to go in terms of being up to speed(no pun intended) for me, but I am getting there!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!! And I really think I was a polar bear in another life because I love the cold and the wind and the elements, I tend to have a hot personality anyways and when it is cold, I just love to run hard, it makes me happy, it is not skiing but I have to say it was fun when the wind was at my back and I felt it pushing me along on my bike. And being outside in this weather just makes my spirit feel free and happy and lucky that I am fit to enjoy the outdoors!!
Well, I am entered in the Huff50K, even though I am not in shape I kind of want to do it but I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get there at this point, that is to be determined, I have decided it is either in the cards for me to attempt it or it isn't.  And on my list of things to do this week is to make Heidi's Mushroom Casserole and to make Brown Sugar Ginger Crisps. I enjoy cooking, I just don't make enough time to do it. So my motto for this week, is that changes take time and I have to be patient and that I want to be joyful about whatever I am doing because life is too short not to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And this is my half year anniversary of my blog, OH MY, time goes by soooooooooooooo  quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had better figure out how to get that Ultra in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                           JB

No comments: