Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's Back....

Well, we are back to Arctic Chicago but at least the sun is out. I have made progress on the cooking front. I now love squash and sweet potatoes. They both last a long time, being the slacker I am, I don't always cook things when I originally plan to and they end up sitting. Secondly, all you have to do is slice them in half, scoop out the seeds in the case of butternut squash, pour some olive oil and a little salt and pepper and then just let them cook in the oven for 45 minutes. I still had honey from Prairie Fruit Farms and I had left over candied ginger, so once the squash finished and a round of laundry as well, I poured a little honey over them and put some cut up ginger on top then I microwaved it. I have to say, it was very tasty and very filling and I got a dose of vitamins and nutrients at the same time. So cooking the squash is a total win/win food. I originally was put off by all the squashes because they are big and cumbersome but once I got over that, they are probably one of the easiest foods to cook. So my latest must have a lot of food, is the squash and I will add on the side some sauteed spinach in butter and soy sauce and my tummy is very happy!!!
 And this week I volunteered at the Lincoln Park Conservatory as part of my retail job.  I ran up there, volunteered and ran back. I had never been in the conservatory before and it is very cool. It is very, very green and I got my total green fix and breathed in all the oxygen given off by the plants. We helped to rake leaves away from the bottoms of the plants because they decay and give off lethal gases for the plants and attract all the bottom feeder insects like cockroaches. This was another win/win situation for me, I was really happy to discover all the nooks and cranny's of the conservatory like the fern room which felt very prehistoric. I got a great run in, not a 2 hour run, that is on the agenda for tomorrow,( it has not been a week yet since I made that commitment),but I was running all over Lincoln Park trying to figure out where the Conservatory was, I got it mixed up with the Peggy Norbert Nature Museum,  which I guess happens often. But I think the Conservatory is another hidden gem of Chicago. AN since I was there on a Friday morning, it was deserted.
   Finally, I have fallen for marketing and love the movie store in Itunes. I got my fix in again of the Big Lebowski and then saw the newest Coen brothers movie, Burn After Reading which was very funny!!!!!!!!!!  Being a "slacker", who is not to love, a guy named Dude???? And Burn After Reading has a great cast, but it is just very funny because it has big name stars but they are all in roles that are parodies of themselves and the Coen brothers make fun of so many conventional things that is a part of the media and society that we live in but in subtle ways and they get you to think at the same time.
So my running has been going, my leg is still achy in the hamstring area which stinks for yoga, I am going to a brief writing workshop right after I end this and I cooked a little and my job situations is still in the air!!!!!!! But between now and Tuesday which will be a week since my other post, I will get a Chapter/Scene done for the Jagged Edge and I will get in a 2 hour run in terms of a job that sustains me financially but that I am really interested in doing, that is an ongoing project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
                  Ciao.........  JB

No comments: