Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter..........


Well, I am procrastinating again before I go out for a long run....it may still be cold but the sun is out..yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I decided I have to appreciate the things I am happy about.....I am happy that I went and plonged(washed the dishes) at the Peter Kump Cooking School on the upper East side of New York, where I took Tech 1 and Tech 2, and Tech 1 I took over and over.....I appreciate learning to care  about sharp knives, quality ingredients and the history and story behind dishes, learning about France, learning about proportions(I still have to buy Michael Ruhlman's new book Ratio). I was lucky to have known Peter and taken classes taught by him and the other memorable teacher I had was Gaynor Grant
And I appreciate that I have traveled, trekked and skied so much, not as much as some but ALOT more than others. I totally, totally miss skiing, trekking and traveling, the only thing I can do is get really fit so when the opportunity arises I can jump on it!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really appreciative of the food, yoga and twelve step community in Chicago and I am appreciative that I am healthy and that I enjoy life no matter what the situation, there is something programmed in me that no matter what the circumstances I find joy in things.........
This week has been a week of loss for me, my Iphone died(not covered by its warranty, so I went for a cheap replacement and I am so at a loss without my Iphone, it totally sucks), I lost my bike key so I have to find the right tool to saw the Kryptonite lock off of my bike, and I am still looking for financially sustainable employment(is this too much to ask???)
        SO with that said I am going to feel the joy of feeling free and enjoying the lake and the air and the joy of being able to run and get the endomorphins cooking and after that I am going to cook and make Ruhlman's corn bread and make more red cabbage and honey and will probably throw some sweet potatoes in the oven as well....
                                      .................Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                           JB

P.S. Made the corn bread but may mix up the ingredients next time, may add more types of peppers, some sour cream and/or brown sugar and will broil at end with butter on top to get the top crusty. Did not make the cabbage, ran out of apple juice and forgot to buy apples.  The Les Dames d'Escoffier Sustainable Seafood event is on my agenda for next week....I may live in the "Midwest" currently(mountains, mountains pull me in) but there are still a lot of restaurants that serve fish and the question is, where do they get their fish, what is the supply/demand equation of fish, fish populations, the use of Lake Michigan to sustain fish...As I eat less and less meat, and more vegetables, fish is still a healthy alternative for protein and fatty acids...so I am kind of curious.........
                                   

No comments: