Thursday, May 28, 2009

Asparagus Galore


Well, I have been having a mini asparagus fest......I have found that the fresh, thin asparagus I buy at the farmer's market doesn't need to be cooked.  Once I peel it and take off the "warts", it is juicy enough to be served as is. So I have been having asparagus salad, snacking on asparagus, it is amazing how fresh asparagus has such flavor and particularly the thin stalks are so tender, they are totally different from the thick stalks that I find at the supermarkets and which I never buy. HOWEVER, I experienced a  phenomenon from eating asparagus and that is, it sounds disgusting, but after mother nature's call in the bathroom there was a horrible smell. I had just cleaned my tub and the bathroom with comet, etc, so I thought there must be something rotten in the tub drain. The smell was like rotten eggs. Then of course, I let my fingers do the walking and googled asparagus and found out that this smell is common and is an indicator that I have an enzyme that breaks down asparagus and causes this horrible smell. At least it is a sign that my kidneys are working!!! Then I found that it was referenced in an Austin Powers movie, where he eats asparagus, pees and scares the villain away. Anyways, I thought I was going crazy and when I found so many references on the web to this phenomenon about asparagus it made me laugh!!!! But I have to say, I had a green fest yesterday, a triple dose of wheat grass at the Green City Market,  raw asparagus salad when I got home and then sauteed spinach for dinner and I feel great today...it is amazing how green things make me feel so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was my getting to ashtanga class the other night or maybe it was both.....
Yeah Spring, yeah summer.............

             

No comments: