Thursday, June 4, 2009

Are Morning People Born or Made?

       Are morning people born or made? That is the question. I finally had my future self voice win out over my waking up voice today and I got out of the house by 6:15, on to the bike path by 6:25 and I even stopped to pet a German Short Hair Pointer that was being walked on Fullerton by the Lakefront and then to my second mysore class of my life by 7:05am. I was done with the Primary Series by 8:30, stopped at Vanille Patisserie for an almond croissant and coffee as my reward and got to a meeting at 9:30. 
       But as I biked along the Lakefront I looked at all the people jogging and they were all thin and fit. There were none of my people there.  My usual battle in the morning is that my waking self changes my mind for me and decides that being ensconced in my comfortable bed is far gentler than getting up any earlier than 8:15. My waking self likes to wake up leisurely and gently because I had so many years of literally, rolling out of bed, barely getting out of the house and barely getting to my desk by 7:30 and feeling horrible and feeling tired and feeling fat and feeling not fit and being unhappy that I was there so I would load up on lattes to get myself going and the whole day was about comforting myself with food.
On a trek, I found it much easier to rise early because usually the porters were up and their voices waked me up, they would bring coffee to my tent and the sun would be out and it was a nice way to get up. Getting up at 3 or 4 on summit days was a pain in the butt, however, once I was out I almost felt like I was sleep walking until about 7:30 or 8 when my whole self would finally wake up. Is it coded into our DNA what time we wake up.
                                                      I had a great yoga class, Bill gave me some great adjustments and yet again I found my body slowly inching into positions it had not been in before. And I have to say I was really happy practicing yoga with the sun streaming in on me. I was joyful and happy!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                      As I biked on my way to yoga, I decided I am going to be much more compassionate when I see people jogging/running late morning or middle of the day on a Saturday. That was me a lot of the time, I had the record for being the fittest for how unfit I looked.
                                                    SO today the sun shined and I was able to do it and I decided that on the whole it is coded into our DNA in terms of how we arise in the morning but as I learned from my dog Sophie, an old dog can learn new tricks. And since I am not that old yet, I have no excuse, so I can learn new things and at least once a week get myslef in gear and out of the house early.

                                              

4 comments:

Cat said...

Starting my mornings like this make for the best rest of the day for me. At the moment I have serious plantar facitus (sp?!) so even walking is a pain but - I love starting out before the sun - or even with the sun - and making the most of the day!

Good for you Jeannie!

As a side note I have begun going to night meetings out my way - since running to the Tuesday and Friday meetings at noon is nearly impossible with my foot the way it is. I miss seeing you!

Meghan said...

You are doing great, Jeannie.

I love to get up in the mornings and exercise to begin my day. But when I haven't been, it's hard to get into the routine. I find though, that after a week or so, it feels natural.

But in the end, who cares when it happens? If it makes you happy and feel alive to work out at any time of the day, then do it.

Hope all is well!
Meghan

Jeannie said...

Meghan and Cat great to hear from u both...

Meghan..would love to know the address of your new blog....

Cat..Miss u at meetings too! I've been pretty consistent on tuesdays not always on Friday...good luck with your heel, I wore a boot to bed which helped it eventually go away....

JB

Jeannie said...

Meghan and Cat great to hear from u both...

Meghan..would love to know the address of your new blog....

Cat..Miss u at meetings too! I've been pretty consistent on tuesdays not always on Friday...good luck with your heel, I wore a boot to bed which helped it eventually go away....

JB