Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Birthday Come and Gone...

It was my birthday on Thursday, September 17th. I have had some pretty cool birthdays, like having porters make me a cake at base camp at 17,000 ft, in Ladakh, Kashmir, India or having a birthday cake with candles near Mazar China in an oasis town in Xinjiang Province in Northwestern China, or I celebrated in Tokyo listening to one of the Beatles tribute bands in Roppongi and in the Dordogne one year I stayed at a medieval castle on a bike tour, great wine and foie gras is always a great to celebrate birthdays!!! And when I lived in New York, I celebrated at the original Daniel, and Le Bernardin as well. SO I can't complain, I have had some cool birthdays, this was definitely not one of them but I heard from some of my fantastic, supportive friends and that means a lot!!!!!!! However, I did go to an amazing dinner in the Hague this past June for my old college roommate's birthday that her husband threw for her, and that dinner party was pretty amazing,and Veuve Cliquot and a Nuits St Georges Premier Cru certainly helped as well.

I have just decided that my goal now is to get as fit this year as I possibly can! I am disappointed that I am not ready to run an ultra right this minute and my hamstring tendon injury has hampered yoga lately. But of all things, people cannot take away health and fitness from you, you take it away from yourself. My friend Sue is varies between a size 2 and a size 4, and most of the skinny yogini women are between size 2 and size 4's. I am completely at peace that I just will never be one. But if I can stay a size 6 then I feel that is a reasonable goal. SO this year I am trying to make reasonable and attainable goals. In ashtanga, I would love to finally break through my shoulders and be able to actually clasp my hands in some of the Marich binds, I think that is reasonable, I was born with squirrel arms not swan arms, what can I say, so it means getting a little leaner to get that extra little inch in order to clasp my hands. And I want to some how put together a sustainable financial life that I am at peace with and a plan to move to Aspen and finally put to rest some of the remaining family issues.

I guess what it boils down to is life is short and you have to go out and live it!!!!! Birthdays are always a reminder of that and a reminder of how lucky I am to have so many great friends in my life and my brother Jin gave me a singing Mr. Wolf doll. To keep us out of the attic and potentially falling through holes in it, my mother told us that a wolf lived in the attic, so I believed up and until I was about 8 or 9 that Mr. Wolf lived in the attic and I was Little Red Riding Hood for Halloween for many years, so my brother gave me a singing Wolf doll. He sings "Hey Little Red Riding Hood, You sure are looking good, your everything a big bad wolf could want. by Sam the Sham and the Pharouhs. So that definitely made me laugh!!!!....




2 comments:

Cat said...

You have lived a life of travel and adventure that I have only dreamed of! Happy belated birthday to you, the wolf doll from your brother is a hoot!
Cat

Jeannie said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the doll was given for different reasons but those r the ones that I am sticking to!!!