Friday, December 11, 2009

Holiday Presents and Book List, I love lists!!

Okay, I love lists....so my latest lists are great small food gifts to give people, I have to say I love giving presents and then I am a starting a book list.....

Food
1. Olive oil and vinegars from The Olive Tap
2. Spices from the Spice House
3. Cheese, olives, bread, wine from Pastoral Artisan
4. Bottle of wine from LUSH wine and spirits
5. Bottle of Maple syrup, who does not love pancakes and it is really hard to find good maple syrup, from Burton's Maplewood Farm, they can be found at the Green City Market
6. Going to a dinner party? Bring some artisan ice cream from Nicecream
7. Pate de fruits, which are soft sugar candies flavored from local fruits, I consider it healthy candy, handmade
8. On the run, need to pickup something, any of Nicole's Crackers will be favorites. I personally like "Oh, for the love of Herb" and for a dessert cracker, "Heaven is Lavender".
9. And of course, salsas, salsas can be used on eggs, to cook with vegetables, as a snack on their own and they are really low in calorie so a food bonus, Tomato Mountain Salsas are my favorite...
10. Want a unique spirit for a conversation starter and a tasty cocktail, try Adam Seger's Hum Spirits, Hibiscus, Cardomom and Ginger

Other ideas:
11. Seedling Fruit incredibly delectable, yummy fruit jams, I would buy every flavor, they are great as a healthy sugar pickmeup, available at my favorite Green City Market!
12. Just found out about Swedish Microfiber cloths that you can use for cleaning with just water, you can throw out all your chemicals...Not a food but something that will help save the earth, available at Colori Eco Boutique of paints and household products that are earth friendly
13. Koval Distillery, any one of their products, Ginger liqueur, Rose hips liqueur, Pear Brandy, the list goes on....

Books

My book list is shorter but will grow over time...

1. Paul Theroux "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star" which I have been told is a nonfiction account of his travel by trains through Central Asia, the "Stans" which for me is an incredibly fascinating, picturesque part of the world

2. Greg Mortenson's new book, "Stones into Schools" about his efforts to promote peace in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

3. "Miracle in the Andes" by Nando Parredo. Nando was the Uruguayan, who after 3 months of being stranded in the Andes, after a plane crash and eating the dead to survive, walked out of the mountains and found help. I was fortunate to meet him, he was a customer at the store and I helped him and he told me about his book. I have always been fascinated by the book, "Alive", it is one of the most incredible survival stories I have ever read. The thing I get drawn to is the inner strength and belief in themselves and their pulling together as a team. Having played on teams for many years, I can tell people who just don't understand the meaning of a team. The thing I love about the mountains is that it is really all about team work, whether you are roped on a glacier or trekking with porters, it is all about working as a member of a group. This story is not a story it really happened and I guess the amazing thing about it is the human spirit and humaness which is what this story is about. Of all the people I have encountered at the store, I have to say, meeting Nando for me was probably the most memorable.

That is my book list so far and my trip list is to go on the Afghan trip with Wild Frontiers.....I really believe in promoting peace through tourism and grassroots dipolmacy. These challenged countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan have peaceful and incredibly historic, and beautiful areas, coincentally, some of the largest mountain ranges in the world run through them. And, the foods you come across are all organic and local because the people have no other choice the world ofpackaged goods hasn't really hit them. Here is my friend Ade's video on his trip to Afghanistan and here is my slide show of my trip to Pakistan, Just have to figure out how to fund it and how to get back on a sustainable financial footing to do this, want to go to Libya, Iran and Afghanistan to name a few.


1 comment:

Burton's Maplewood Farm said...

Jeannie, We love the fact that you love our syrup....thanks for including us on your top 10 list!!! Fox & Obell now sell our syrup.

Take care,
Tim Burton