Saturday, January 30, 2010
Okay, besides buying Philippe Bourseiller's book, here is my top 10 list of little things u can do to save the earth..
1. When shopping and someone offers to put your items in a plastic bag, just say no and put it in your own bag. Even if you say no to just a few bags, that is a step in the right direction.
2. Pick up a piece of trash on the ground that isn't yours and put it in a garbage can.
3. Support your local farmer's market like the Green City Market...
4. Support chef's who source local and support local farmers.
5. Change one paper item in your house to recyclable, TP(toilet paper), PT(paper towels)
6. Lower the temperature in your house
7. Turn on one less light
8. Walk somewhere where if you wanted to you could walk but took a cab or drove
9. Support Climate Cycle
10. Take a run outdoors rather than the treadmill at the health club, saves energy and better for you...
SO speaking of which, putting this list together was my procrastination from a run so out I go.....
Sunday, January 10, 2010
I am continuing with Philippe Bourseiller's list of 365 Ways to Save the Earth, and I would love to travel to all the places he has taken pictures of.
11. Do not feed wild animals. It alters their behavior. In parks it attracts vermin.
12. Reward socially responsible companies by investing in them. Like companies like North Face or Columbia.
13. Use the refrigerator properly. If you lower ambient room temperature, your refrigerator uses less energy.
14.Coffee, milk and sugar, say "no" to individual portions. The extra packaging is a waste and adds to the cost of the product.
15.Use natural paints. Paints are cocktails of chemicals. Colori Eco Paint Boutique in Bucktown sells earth friendly paint.
16. Switch off lights you don't need.
17. Check the energy efficiency rating when you buy household appliances. The City of Chicago is giving away for FREE energy efficient light (CFL) bulbs!
18. Rediscover your grandmother's remedies. Like lemon for copper.Using microfiber cloths eliminates the need for chemicals when cleaning.
19. Drive more slowly. Each 5 mile increase over 60 mph is like paying 10 cents more for gas.
20. Write to manufacturer's urging them to keep GMO's out of animal feeds.
Okay now here is my current list of the week...
Reasons not to go out for a run versus running
1. It is cold when I get out there... Okay I just need to layer more before I go out, it is not like I am living in northern Alaska!
2. My feet hurt when I run. My current companies running shoes really hurt my feet but they are free or highly discounted so that is what I run in. Well..my brother is shipping me a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus. And the other shoe on my list is Sportivas when I cash up a little.
3. My body aches, Well, it aches because I haven't run, I feel so much better when I go out running.
4. I am going to feel all the weight I need to lose still. Well, if I don't go running I stand no chance in getting skinnier.
5.I have to do, the magazine, looking for jobs, cleaning. bills, paperwork.. Well,,, I always feel better when I go out running.
6. It is too dark in the morning. Well, I bought a headlamp.
7. I still have an incredibly hard time getting up early(6am. which I realize is like sleeping in for some ultra runenrs)
8.The bigggest reason for me to run is because I love it and I love the outdoors and it is one of the best things I can do for myself when you are low on funds!!!!!! The outdoors is free to most extents..you just have to be creative in urban settings in how to take advantage of it!!!
Finally, through A Trail Runner's blog he did a run at the Armory in NYC which is my old neighborhood and through that I linked into the NYRRC site and they now have a database from 1987 of their races and I found a record of a lot of my old times......... And I have never been a real runner, I was built like a sherpa which is why I feel so comfortable in the mountains but I did run an 8 min/mile for a 20 mile race which I think is a sign of real fitness and I ran a 7:15/mile for a 5K. For real runners that is not fast but for me that was a real accomplishment. But I was also doing a hardcore speedworkout once a week with Bob Glover and then I was averaging 40 mile weeks which is a walk in the park for ultra people but they were all hard runs. SO I think Nike's old motto was totally worth a gizillion dollars, I just have TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saturday, January 2, 2010
I love lists, have I not been more obvious about that fact!! I bought a book awhile ago that I have always treasured, "365 Ways to Save the Earth" by Philippe Bourseiller. It not only contains great ideas but it has beautiful pictures showing how many incredible natural phenomena there are in the world. So I am borrowing from his book and listing his idea a day for January 1 -10.
2.Turn doown your heating by 5 degrees F. Picture..Whale shark, Australia
3.Recycle your Christmas tree (if you bought one, and please never buy the artifical ones. My add)Picture..Bizzard over the inlandsis,continental ice sheet, Greenland.
4.Lobby the right for access to renewble electricity.(I have referenced this in my art piece of pictures of electric poles from all over the planet...my invented word..Electro-globicity) Picture,Aurora borealis Finland
5.Improve the efficiency of your radiators Picture Namib Desert, Namibia
6.Suggest composting at our children's school...Picture Klychuchevskaya volcano, Kamchatka, Russia...(I really want to go to Kamchatka and climb the volcanoes, they are the youngest and most active volcanic area in the world)
7.Reduce the amount of water flowing into your toilet's tank. Picture...Iceberg, Greenland
8.Buy fair-trade products and help combat child labor. Picture,,Lagoons, Baja California, Mexico...Have kayaked near La Paz, beautiful...
9.Make it a rule to buy only organic(or local..my add) of a given product. Picutre..Acacia, Namibia
10. SIng an environmental charter for your favorite leisure activity. Picture...Soft coral, Indonesia...Have been to Bali,,,,loved it....want to go back, there are SO many islands, incredible...
Okay.....that is it for now....part of my procrastination before I head out the door for a quick jog with -7 wind chill. I remind myself it is not like I am living in the Arctic or Antartica, it is only Chicago and the sun is out today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy New Year, Love life, Eat and support local as much as possible and as green as possible and embrace the outdoors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!