Friday, August 20, 2010

Never Give Up!!

When I was in Ladakh India(back in the days of when I had $'s to travel) I heard the Dalai Lama speak and I bought some things to remind me of his talk. The saying below hangs from one of my closet handles but I don't always read it. I did today and it is exactly what I needed to read:

Never Give Up

No matter what is going on
Never give up

Develop the heart
Too much energy in your country
is spent developing the mind
instead of the heart
Develop the heart

Be compassionate
Not just to your friends but to everyone
Be compassionate

Work for peace
in your heart and in the world
Work for Peace

And I say it again

Never give up
No matter what is happening
No matter what is going on around you

Never give up

I take this to mean, never give up on your dreams no matter how impossible they seem, never give up on your goals and ambitions. I feel the world pushes people to compromise their dreams and goals. I think this means never give up being a human and responding to people from a humanistic perspective. It is funny I am on the Jane Addams Hull House mailing list and there is a huge birthday celebration for her on September 9th. I never realized she was the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, I just didn't know that. The Hull House is a great email list to get on because they sponsor really informative events in particular the Soup Kitchen and the Tuesday Farmer's Market at UIC.

The world sometimes pushes people to sink to a very low common denominator of behavior, thoughts and interests but you can never give up on what you care about. So happy to read this, maybe it is the H and H weather we have been having but I had a very discouraging week so I need to really take these words to heart!!!!!!!!! And get myself to yoga tomorrow at Yogaview, and Sunday...yoga always makes things better and get out and run as well, running always makes things better, being outside always makes things better and I definitely was not outside enough this week and I feel it mentally and physically but I can't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments: