Friday, February 11, 2011

To Travel Again and Some GREAT IDEAS

I really want to get on the travel and trek bus again but I have to work on the economics of it!!!! But I have had some great ideas this week. Fortunately, when you look at the source of some of the foods and beverages that we import because they just are not going to be grown in Chicago are grown in some amazing places. So my ideas for trekking and tasting trips are:
1)Ethiopia - To trek in the Simien mountains, to check out Lalibela and the churches that are built into the ground and then to go to the farm where Ipsento, Coffee Ambassadors source their beans. I think it would be really interesting to meet the farmers, see how they live and see how coffee is picked and harvested.

2)Darjeeling - Darjeeling is to tea, the way Rheims is to Champagne. Kachengjunga is the third highest peak in the world, so it would be great to do a trek to Kachengjunga's basecamp, then to go to Darjeeling and visit the specific farms where Ineeku tea is grown. Little did I realize tea is grown from a specific type of tree, the camellia sinensis.

3)Ecuador - Now I have been to Ecuador, I climbed a volcano Cotacachi that was just a day climb and then flew from Quito to the Galapagos which was an amazing thing to do. But a great trip would be to go the rain forest in Ecuador and visit the Kallari Farming cooperative and see how cacao beans are harvested.

Oh, so many cool places to visit in the world, such little time and so many dollars needed..... Enough procrastinating from doing stairs in my building.....

Ciao
JB