Thursday, May 19, 2011

Too Many Books, Too Little Time

I have a ton of books on my night table, I don't know how it happened. They aren't necessarily literary masterpieces, but they are all on topics that capture my interest. My night table was empty for a long time. If I go to a reading and like the topic I will buy the book to be supportive of the writer. Caitlin Kelly, beat me to a book about North Face, her book is called Malled and although very eerily we had some of the very same sentiments and even experiences, her time was spent in a mall, where I don't think I could have lasted very long. Michigan Avenue is its own unique experience, it is a world shopping district which is the cool thing about it, but Caitlin Kelly is also an amazing writer and she wrote a great, well researched book which I could not have done.

So the books on my table that are started not finished are, in no order of importance:

1) "World Without Fish" by Mark Kurlansky. I bought this at a signing that he did at the Nature Museum a few weeks ago, Dirk's Fish was there, along with the great ladies from the Shedd Aquarium. Although the book is written for kid's 9 years and up, it actually makes it easier to understand a very complicated subject and I have not finished the book yet but I hope that it ends on a happy note because it really is bringing home the subject of sustainable fishing. It is quirky and interesting..It makes me appreciate the time that I camped in Hokianga Harbor in the Bay of Islands in the north of New Zealand and we foraged for mussels and cooked them on the beach or the time that I went to local cafe in Puntos Arenas and had a heaping bowl of steamed shellfish of crustaceans that we will never ever see in the U.S. I highly, highly recommend this book to everyone who cares even a tiny iota about the environment.

2)"Forget Me Not" by Jennifer Lowe-Anker and is about her life and life after the death of her husband Alex Lowe one of the top climbers of all time. I met her at the North Face store on Michigan Avenue and she told me about the book and I have started it. If you are interested in what being a climber(rock,wall, bouldering) then you should really read this book because she really gets into the characteristics and the details of having the rock wall, climbing bug and all the cool places in the world that there are to climb.

3)"The Tenth Muse", by Judith Jones. Judith Jones was Julia Child's editor and the book is full of great detail of how her life shaped her interest in food and how she developed her point of view. This is one that I read, put down and go back to, since at some point I would love to publish some essays on food.

4) "Apartment Gardening" by Amy Pennington. This book caught my eye from Gwyneth Paltrow's email letter Goop. It is a great book as a resource with little rules of thumb, no garden pun intended, and with some really great, simple, seasonal recipes.

5)"Cinderella of Wall Street" by Lydia Fisher. I met Lydia at a get together she held at her apartment through the 85Broads group of Chicago. Lydia is one of the most gracious people I have met and eerily again we were in New York in the bond business some years apart but I completely know the world that she worked in. What is amazing to me because I worked in it, is that to succeed in that business took a lot of presence, energy and really steely determination because it is a really rough business. I have to finish her book because I think she just had complete confidence in herself which is what I really admire and she had a specific goal and knew where she wanted to go.

6)"Relentless Forward Progress" by Bryon Powell. Finally and I almost forgot this one and no, I have not run an ultra yet, but perhaps the title of this book is my new mantra, "relentless forward progress"...

I will admit, apartment gardening is more a resource I flip open, relentless just sits in front of me reminding me to do one thing, run......

Ciao,
JB


7 comments:

陳依婷 said...

外遇搜證尋人啟事抓姦離婚高雄徵信社抓姦外遇離婚尋人徵信社外遇應收帳款公司苗栗徵信抓奸費用抓姦捉猴大陸抓姦感情破壞徵信社離婚無效債務處理汽車追蹤器監護權外遇抓姦催收心理醫生徵信社工作外遇犀利人妻智慧財產權行蹤調查收費抓姦婚姻如何挽回老婆先生變心徵信社推薦婚姻問題法律諮詢好的徵信社挽回女友尋人方法帳款催收徵信社挽回婚姻機車追蹤器離婚離婚免費諮詢律師追蹤器免費法律諮詢外遇捉姦彰化徵信桃園徵信社仿冒離婚法律諮詢抓姦查地址外遇抓姦外遇搜證討債飯店抓姦尋人如何挽回婚姻追蹤器離婚程序抓姦合法討債衛星追蹤器

HiToplay said...

Welcome to Hittoplay a place where you can have endless entertainment Entertainment Content from all around the world Songs, News, Cooking Recipes, Technology, Religion, Best and Top Songs on demand or live is just a click away, Latest Movies and Trailers
Life without entertainment is colorless, Quality Video Experience and we offer the best entertainment, Future Technology that you could have ever experienced. , Holiday Destinations We believe in providing, Delicious Cooking Recpies latest and the best quality Video experience, Religion

Unknown said...

www.mrkunal.in
www.delhieliteclub.com
www.delhinightqueen.in

mehmet kelebek said...

shipping company in Kocaeli pay attention to them while searching
The first company in the first respondent should speak properly,
Second Price inconvenient if you ask,
Have the third car logo
This means if you have a good company made a firm 3.
If stay away from that company.
Evden eve nakliyat
Evden eve nakliyat
Çayirova evden eve nakliyat
Evden eve nakliyat

Đặng Triều Vĩ said...

Nice blog !!!
thanks for sharing
Thiet ke nha dep |
Thiet ke nha pho dep |
Thiet ke biet thu dep |
Thiet ke biet thu |
Thiet ke noi that dep |
Nha dep |
Nha vui |
Thiet ke nha vui |
Cong ty nha vui |

Unknown said...

We are urgently in need of kidney donors for the sum of
$409,000.00, Contact us now on email for more details.
(WHATS APP MESSAGE ONLY +917411484388
PHONE CALL;+917411484388
drrichard803@gmail.com
We are located in India
Dr. Richard D

hitaakademi said...

Ankara merkezli sanal gerçeklik oyun merkezi kurulum hizmetleri
VR CAFE Türkiye'de hizmet ve faaliyetlerini sürdürmektedir.